Thursday, May 21, 2020

Fishy

Today is Show and Tell "Fish Friday!"
Does "Fish Friday" ring a bell with any of you?  To the kids at Awbrey Park Elementary school when I was there, every Friday was "Fish Friday." The lucky ones were eating fish sticks for "hot lunch."  I had my regular "cold lunch," a peanut butter sandwich on white bread, potato chips, cookies and milk.  Once in awhile, after pleading with my mother, I was allowed to buy hot lunch. I believe back then it cost .25 cents per person. Mom and Dad could not afford for the four of us kids to eat that every day, so we were content with our sack lunches, but I sure enjoyed seeing and smelling what they were eating. Some days the children had spaghetti, green beans and peaches or Salisbury steak with biscuits and gravy.

In memory of Fish Friday, and with a little help from Louise P. De Gouy, I made a creamy sauce. I dumbly forgot to add the egg yolks. In spite of this mistake the sauce was velvety smooth. One of my favorite spaghetti is made with clam sauce, so I proceeded to add chopped clams, onion, garlic and shredded Parmesan. I poured it into my beautiful thrift store find, a 1942 Korean made bowl.
The clam sauce was the best I ever made. Next time I will remember to add the egg yolks. I will also try a new and even more difficult sauce to make. Here's hoping I pass my own test.


~ A fitting Scripture from the Bible will accompany each post. ~ 

Jesus said to Peter, "...go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for your tax and mine."    Matthew 17:27

  Blessings, Kathi

1 comment:

Jan said...

I love clams! I grew up Catholic so every Friday was fish Friday. We complained then, but I love all seafood as an adult.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails