Sunday, July 3, 2011

Strawberries Are Finally Here!

It's funny, when the strawberries are finally in season I almost panic, because I have missed them in years passed. In our valley they are only in season for about three weeks. I hurry and scurry to get them, and then realize that if I don't do something with them right away they will go bad.
I'm so happy to have the help of my dear daughters. They wash and hull the berries for me. This year we made regular frozen strawberry and strawberry rhubarb cooked jam.
It amazes me that the berries are still $22 a flat; same price I was paying 12 years ago. The family that runs this little berry stand works so hard. Bless them for their hard work.
We made 14 frozen pints and 14 cooked strawberry rhubarb pints. Whew! We did not miss strawberry season this year.
My neighbor Trudy said once to me, "Looks like you've picked yourself lots of work," after she and I picked four five gallon buckets of green beans. Yep, once you buy it or pick it, you've got to hurry and can it or freeze it. I'm so thankful for the ability to put away food, which is preserved for the winter. The Lord promises to preserve our lives. What a joy to know and believe this!! "Your compassion is great, O LORD; preserve my life according to your laws." Psalm 119:156

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails