Tuesday, May 31, 2016

If You Goof, Humble Yourself and Make Things Right

Dear Ladies, I am a mom just like you. Now and then I really mess up. I did the other day when I tried to manipulate my children into liking gravy on top of mashed potatoes. Some people just do not like gravy. My kids love their mashed potatoes plain. This is a known fact in our home.
So, what did I do? You guessed it, I goofed. I thought if by pouring gravy all over the left-overs, my kids would happen to taste the gravy the next time they ate them and that they would declare that they loved them; proving that I was right all along. Wrong! They were very upset with me for "ruining" the perfect potatoes. Do not get me wrong, my children are not spoiled brats. They really appreciate what I do for them. They had made it very clear for years, that they do not like gravy on potatoes. I knew this very well, so what I did was actually mean. When we know someone has a preference for something and we disregard it, that can cause hurt and anger. I decided to ask them to forgive me, and I asked the Lord to help me make it right.
So, a few days later, I made a new batch of pure mashed potatoes. I felt so much better about being kind, being thoughtful, being sweet. Only God can bring those qualities out in me. My children thanked me and told me how good they were.The Bible is very clear about not  demanding our own way, and that it is wrong to manipulate, to be short tempered, and to be flat out cross or bossy.  I am feeling so much better after having made a wrong right. I hope you have a blessed day,  Kathi

                        1 Corinthian 13:4-5
"Love is very patient and kind, never jealous or envious, never boastful or proud, never haughty or selfish or rude. Love does not demand its own way. It is not irritable or touchy. It does not hold grudges and will hardly even notice when others do it wrong."

4 comments:

gin said...

I totally agree with your children. NO GRAVY on creamed/mashed potatoes. Only my husband wants the gravy.
My kids always took them plain. Glad your back on track with the no gravy thing.

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

Ouch! Your post stepped on my toes! I, myself, need to be more mindful to be kind and not manipulate those closest to me that I love! I think I know best for them, and don't always trust them to make their own decisions or follow the path that God has for them. I think I'm acting out of love, but really, is it just control? Well, enough about me, lol! Made me think, ...examine myself! Thank you, my friend! :) ~Rhonda

Anonymous said...

My grown adult children are ages 37 and 44. They were raised with much love and understanding. And are very successful. So that would be my advice.
Blessing Always From
Pamels

Sue said...

Smiled all the way through this post Kathi, been there done that! Wishing you a most blessed and happy July 4th!
Blessings,
Sue

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails