Friday, May 30, 2014

Desire to be Old Enough and Responsible Enough... Do You Have That Desire?

On my way to work this morning, I glanced at the clock. Uh-oh, I was going to be a few minutes late. You see, my adult children, spent the night. This morning I could not resist catching up with the three of them. Here is my problem...
I teach kindergarten, and they are not allowed to take their own chair down from the stack. That's my job. Being a bit late I did not have time to get them into place. Students and parents arrived and the chairs were still stacked. What to do. What would you do?
Here is what I did. Since we are two weeks away from the end of the year, I felt that these kindergartners were ready to take down their own chairs like first graders do. I asked the class if they noticed the chairs all stacked up. They did. I told them that only 1st graders got to take chairs down, but not kindergarten children, cause they were not ready yet, but that I thought they were ready to do it, just like a first grader could do it. Hands shot up, "I'm ready. I could do it." Well after demonstrating the right way and the wrong way, I allowed them to put their own chairs in place, just like first graders. The day went smoothly from then on. The children were so excited to be thought old enough and responsible enough to take down their own chairs. I love kindergarten!

 "Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life." Galatians 6:5
Blessings, Kathi

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails