Thursday, August 11, 2011

Get Rid Of This Fire Hazard

Two days ago I took some of our sleeping bags to the laundry mat. This brought to mind a scary memory for me. Five years ago we had some old sleeping bags around the house, which my children slept in on very cold nights next to the wood stove in our family room. It occurred to me that the sleeping bags had belonged to my grandparents and made before safer fire retardant fibers were invented for sleep ware and sleeping bags. These sleeping bags must have been at least 40 years old. I took them out to our fire pit outside and through them in. They were torched in 30 seconds flat, and if a spark had flown out of our wood stove at night onto one of our sleeping children...well, I don't want to think about that.
This knowledge sent chills down my back. This is just a reminder to everyone, please get rid of old dusty things that could be a safety hazard for your family. It's just not worth it. I thank the Lord for showing me this, and keeping our family from harm. "In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety." Psalms 4:8

5 comments:

DeNiece Barnes said...

Kathi, Praise God that he was and still is keeping your precious family safe from any hurt, harm, or danger....Thank you for the reminder that we need to go through things in our home and discard those that can be a potential danger because it was made before a lot of the fire resistant fibers where made....

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Hi Kathi,
Sometimes we need a 'wake-up call' to make us aware of things like this. Most of us just don't think about the safety of some of the old things that we have inherited or purchased ourselves. THANKS for the reminder!Thanks for stopping by today... I'm surprised you have rusty water where you are...I guess I just think of the PNW as having crystal clear water. I sure never worried about rusty water where we lived in British Columbia but people who lived closer to the river had it. Hopefully one day we'll dig our well deeper and we won't have this problem. Have fun making your stepping stones and have a great day!
Maura :)

Molly's Art Designs said...

Kathi-
You are right-I am in the process of getting rid of some old items as well. Thank you for checking out my etsy store--I am glad it was visible! Blessings- Molly

onlymehere said...

I wouldn't have even thought of that. Thanks for warning people. It sure will make me think twice about some things made out of fabric.

Rose of Sharon said...

This is so frightening! I am so thankful that the kids never got hurt. I'm sure we've had old sleeping bags and blankets too and I'm thankful nothing happened. Thanks for the reminder!

Love, Sharon

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails