Two days ago I took some of our sleeping bags to the laundry mat. This brought to mind a scary memory for me. Five years ago we had some old sleeping bags around the house, which my children slept in on very cold nights next to the wood stove in our family room. It occurred to me that the sleeping bags had belonged to my grandparents and made before safer fire retardant fibers were invented for sleep ware and sleeping bags. These sleeping bags must have been at least 40 years old. I took them out to our fire pit outside and through them in. They were torched in 30 seconds flat, and if a spark had flown out of our wood stove at night onto one of our sleeping children...well, I don't want to think about that.