Wednesday, September 22, 2010

...It's Like Living In Ancient Babylon


Living in the USA today is similar to living in ancient Babylon, where I am daily bombarded with temptations of every kind. Every luxury imaginable is offered me on t.v., billboards and store front windows. Luxuries in themselves are not sinful, it's the love and desire for these things over and above loving my Lord and God Jesus Christ. I'm tempted always to think of obtaining or using these things: fancy clothing, pretty decor for my home, perfumes and make-up, crafts, hobbies and so much more. When do I stop and think of the poor? and give to my local food bank? Giving can't and won't save me, but is something that comes out of a yielded heart, which listens to the heart of God. When do I thank the Lord that sinful as I am, He loves me and wants to know me? I need His help to live a life of integrity. I want His help to desire His Word and to hear His still small voice above the clamour of this world.

I am also bombarded with seductive commercials, which are filled with sensuality enticing me away from all that is good. I am flattered and puffed up with the pride of life. I cannot possibly honor my Lord on my own. I am weak & sinful, and I am easily loured by Satan's schemes, yes, Satan, the one the Bible says seeks to deceive the whole world. He is my adversary; my enemy. Without Christ, he would destroy my life. I am like Daniel who lived in ancient Babylon. I'm faced daily with the same temptations he was. May the Lord help me to live as he did and not fear what man would say of me or how man might think me odd or strange. Daniel continued praying openly to God though it was against the law and his life was threatened. My life is not threatened for my beliefs; I have it easy compared to Daniel. But, I too, am an alien living here. My real home is in Heaven, and I will be there some day. I am not without hope. I have power against this enemy to live a life of integrity:

That same power which God the Father raised Christ from the dead is living in me. That same power is the power of Jesus Christ's Holy Spirit, which aids me in fighting temptation of all sorts.

‎"For the message of the Cross of Christ is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."1 Corinthians 1:18

I will be studying the book of Daniel again. This will be my second time through. I set my alarm for 4:30, otherwise it won't happen for me. I am determined to seek the Lord and to know Him more and more. I'm looking forward to all God shares with me." For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12 That is why the Bible is never boring; it is alive and fresh and new information coming from the heart of God; each time I read it!!! God bless you all today ~ Kathi

11 comments:

nannykim said...

I have done that study. But I think what God used in my life more than this study is Francis Chan's book called, Crazy Love. That book convicted my husband and myself both and we changed some things so we could give more away. We saved 40 dollars a month by cutting out tv (and they ended up giving it to us for free for a year...weird, eh--so we can still watch football ;-) ). We cut back eating out as much as we were doing so we could give more for local food banks. Anyways it is always a challenge to examine the way we are living....a constant struggle. (for example I did splurge on a huge back of M&M's and pigged out.....ah well).

Elena said...

Awesome post. I love the book of Daniel too!

A Romantic Porch said...

May God bless you for your faithfulness to HIM. xo rachel

Tiffany said...

Daniel si wonderful. I have yet to do any Beth Moore stuff. I guess I am the only woman around who hasn't! May God bless your efforts, especially the getting up early part!

onlymehere said...

We may go to different church's but we both think and believe most of the same things. I love the different language you use when you speak of spiritual things also and it speaks to my heart. I'm glad you still have a public blog so I can come and bask in the spirit of it. You make me smile :) You're right about the world in which we live. I guess this is a huge reason why I don't watch TV much. Even the commercials are too suggestive for me. I do keep current on events in the world though and read the newspaper every day so I'm not totally closed off from the world. We call that being "in" the world but not "of" the world. God bless you for your courage to keep writing what you believe.

Beautiful pear tree lane said...

As always kathi , I leave challenged, blessed and inspired. Thanks for reminding me of my priority.
Blessings,
Sue

as always starzie said...

Dear Kathi,
Thanks for posting such a heartfelt message! Life can be so difficult at times, but with faith we can always find our way. Hope you had a wonderful summer. This might seem like a strange question, but does anyone know how Amanda is doing at Jacaranda Cottage? I just realized we haven't heard a peep from her since Feb. Hope she is OK!
Thank you for sharing your lovely blog with us. I know you reach many people and make their day a little brighter!

Hugs,

Darlene

Sue said...

Hi kathi, I wanted to stop by and say hi, and miss you.
Hugs,
Sue

luvmy4sons said...

Amen! Stopping by to say hi! So so busy. Miss my bloggy friends. Love your heart after God!

kristie@thedecorologist.com said...

this is such an amazing study by beth moore - i should probably do it again, too!

Melody, The Small Business Guru said...

I am a big fan of Beth Moore and her Bible Studies - perhaps because I am an even bigger fan of the Father God and His Holy Word.

I discovered your post on the Daniel Bible Study while doing research for my Squidoo lens on Beth Moore here -
http://www.squidoo.com/bethmoorefan

I quoted a portion of your post with a link back. I hope you don't mind. If you mind please just leave me a comment or contact me through the Squidoo lens and I'll take it down immediately.

I have made your blog a favorite. I enjoy sharing the Goodness of The Lord in your life through your blog.

Blessings!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails