Thursday, May 7, 2009

Home-Made Fire Pit

Out in the country we noticed most of our neighbors had home-made fire pits. My husband decided to make one too. A two and a half ft. piece of galvanised pipe with a diameter of about eight feet across is used to begin. Make sure you buy the end piece because it has a finished edge, otherwise the top would be sharp.
Place the galvanized pipe about two inches into the ground, otherwise too much air gets underneath and burns too quickly. Between 97 and 107 interlocking bricks go around the pipe. A friend of ours used river rock and cement. It looks so beautiful, but needs constant repair as the extremes in temperature cause cracking. No problem with the interlocking bricks.
We enjoy our fire pit almost year round. It's a favorite gathering place.
I hope you are able to make one and enjoy it also. Have a great day and I'll see you soon. Kathi
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up, according to their needs; that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29

11 comments:

Sherry said...

Yeah....new honey do at our house. That is neat!

Heather said...

very cool! i love it. what a great idea.

Gina said...

I might need one of these.

Brittany said...

That is so neat Kathi! I love fire pits they are a wonderful place to spend time! Love you!

Brittany said...

That is so neat Kathi! I love fire pits they are a wonderful place to spend time! Love you!

Rose of Sharon said...

I love your fire pit! It works so well and brings so much fun to your family and home. I can't believe how little Garrett is in the pictures!

love you! Sharon

Lady Farmer said...

I must show this to my hubby ~ he will just say "add it to the list!"
But nothing ventured, nothing gained! :~}
Thanks for sharing, Kathi!

luvmy4sons said...

You put our fire pit to shame...a few well placed limsestones in a circle! LOL! That is a neat idea! Oh and if you came to visit in Ohio I would be sure there were no house centipedes around! I usually only see a couple a year in the very wet season. They like dark moist places...an occasional one is seen when it is very rainy! But I HATE them!

Judy said...

Hi Kathi, We have a fire pit and use it all the time. It's so nice to spend an evening outside around the fire. Yours looks so nice.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Judy

Elena said...

That is really cool!

Jan Parrish said...

So cool. When all the kids move out, you can open a bed and breakfast. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails